Floreant (pronounced FLO-ree-ent, “to flourish, prosper or grow” in Latin) is an open source POS solution for the Small and Medium-sized restaurants, quick service and retails. Floreant POS is founded, contributed and maintained by OROCUBE LLC, and funded by the founder and little contribution from donors.
In 2009 the POS started its first instance in Denny’s restaurant chain. After its success, the software was released free of cost with source code. In 2014 it ranked top 3 opensource POS project in google reaching 166,000 downloads and 25,000 active stores in 2016. In 2017 it was reviewed as one of the ten open source POS systems by Capterra.
In 2014, OROCUBE LLC set up its office in Lexington, South Carolina with the goal of transforming the successful open source POS project into a growing and sustainable commercial open source business. In 2015, the company added Managing Directors, revamped engineering, and support processes, and expanded its sales and service channels.
The application and source code is provided by the MRPL 1.2 a variant of Mozilla Public License version 1.1; Floreant POS is also available as supported product and available under separate commercial license.
- To benefit Restaurants with the quality Information management system
- Make it free forever and let anyone access source code to improve the overall quality
- Develop application incrementally and add new features based on community input.
- To learn from the community.
- Share technical and logistic knowledge
- Make it sustainable through commercial customization.
Through RIGHT technology and freedom of source code, we will render hassle-free service that requires minimal maintenance and maximum performance
- The right technology demonstrated by usability and user-friendliness
- Quality of code understood by naming convention, optimized logic and a minimum number of bugs.
- Freedom of source code ensured by releasing the source code in a Publicly accessible server.
- Source code hosted in sourceforge.net Subversion
- Standard Java Executable
- Live System (Live CD, Live DVD or USB Bootable) with support charge.
Open source projects may slow down due to lack of monetization and a sustainable business model.